Saturday, March 2, 2013

Haitian Poulet en Sauce

Our family sponsors two Haitian children through Worldvision.  My daughter asked me what they would have for dinner so we decided to learn a little about Haitian food. I decided to try a common Haitian dish called "chicken in gravy" from a wonderful blog called myhaitiankitchen.blogspot.com and I had to make a few changes, but the result was still delicious. Here is my modified version of the dish, served with rice and peas and fried plantains.
Poulet en Sauce:
4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks, marinated in lemon juice, salt,garlic and a halved jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 green pepper,  chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken broth
Brown the chicken in oil until golden brown, add onion and pepper and saute until translucent.  Add tomato sauce, lemon juice and jalapeno (from marinade). Add chicken broth and simmer for about 15 minutes. This was a great, simple recipe that was flavorful and unique. What a great way to share the child sponsorship program with my daughter.

2 comments:

  1. yum! That looks awesome (plantains!) and sounds like something my little one might like, too :) I love that you're teaching your child through senses, experience and sharing.

    your bloggy neighbor,

    Daydreaming Realist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks great! I found you from the Wednesday food party at Moms test kitchen. I would love for you to share at my party: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/04/tried-and-true-recipes-6.html

    ReplyDelete